Privileges of Membership
– TO HAVE contact with musicians all over the United States
– TO MAKE friendships with many Sigma Alpha Iotas who share the same ideals
– TO BE RECOGNIZED and esteemed by members of all other national
fraternities as a “fellow Greek”
– TO BE ENCOURAGED to seek the highest goals in personal development
and professional stature
– TO WEAR the badge as an introduction to Sigma Alpha Iota college
and alumnae chapters and members everywhere
– TO HAVE opportunity at Province Days and National Conventions to
broaden friendships to include members from other chapters
– TO BELONG to a closely-knit organization whose province and national
officers visit chapters to bring assistance and stimulate maintenance of
the fraternity’s high standards of musicianship and scholarship and acquaintance
with the broad scope of the fraternity
– TO FIND opportunities for leadership training in the chapter guided by national
policies and instructional materials
– TO MEET and know the nationally recognized musicians and supporters of music
who are Distinguished members
– TO PARTICIPATE in fraternity projects – scholarships, promotion of American music
through the Inter-American Music Awards program, assistance in rehabilitation through
music both in this country and in foreign countries, and other nationally organized
and recognized endeavors of SAI.
The Responsibilities of Membership
– To represent the fraternity positively at all times
– To cultivate broad friendships and be democratic in all campus contacts
– To be ethical at all times
– To respect the authority of chapter, province and national officers
– To refrain from the discussion of internal fraternity affairs with non-members
– To practice the high ideals of Sigma Alpha Iota at all times
Sigma Alpha Iota Statement of Hazing
Hazing is defined as “any act or situation that recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental or physical health or any action taken or situation created which produces mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment or ridicule.” Such activities include: road rips, the public wearing of apparel which is conspicuous and no normally in good taste, engaging in public stunts and late work sessions which interfere with scholastic activities.
SIGMA ALPHA IOTA CONDEMNS HAZING!!!
Sigma Alpha Iota with all the members of the Professional Fraternity Association does not allow hazing of its prospective members.
Sigma Alpha Iota recognizes that the pre-initiation period is a time for education, inspiration, and dedication of the candidate, and a time for the promotion of professionalism, ethics and dignity through exposure to the privileges and responsibilities of membership as exhibited by our college and alumnae chapters.
THE GOVERNANCE OF SAI
Sigma Alpha Iota is governed by the National Convention which is composed of one delegate from each college and alumnae chapter, and the members of the National Officers Conference who are in attendance.
THE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE BOARD OF SAI
National President – Elizabeth Nordling
National Vice President, Alumnae Chapters – Dr. Leslie S. Odom Miller
National Vice President, Collegiate Chapters – Christine Bruns
National Vice President, Extension and Fraternity Development – Marcie Richardson
National Vice President, Finance – Jennifer Zerangue
National Vice President, Membership – Susan Bermann
National Vice President, Ritual and Fraternity Education – Dr. Deborah R. Volker
Chairman, Board of Directors, SAI Philanthropies, Inc. – Daryle Gardner-Bonneau
Executive Director – Ruth Sieber Johnson